Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Theater and Advice

Well I was going to make another complaining journal but that just really doesn't help anything. -sigh-

Anyways, this journal is going to be composed of tips for future exchange students to Italy (or you can apply them to your country). I've learned quite a lot being in Italy so far and hopefully some of you can, too.

1. Learn as much Italian as possible. I really regret not studying A LOT of Italian. I studied enough to say "I'm hungry." and other stock phrases, but time caught up with me so fast. Knowing more of the language upon arrival will greatly reduce stress and you'll make friends easier. Plus you'll be able to keep up with school better if you're that good.

2. Know geography of the world and your country's politics. Hate to say it: This rule pretty much applies to the American kids. Many people already have the stereotype of us not knowing anything about the world's geography and our own politics (or anything going on outside of the US). When you can actually tell someone where a country like Seychelles is or tell someone how your government works, people will swallow their words. Haha

 EDIT: Also become familiar with the metric system. Dang US doesn't use it, so when you try to tell someone how much a foot is they look  at you like you're stupid.
3. Come with no expectations. Many things probably won't go your way. You might not be allowed to go to clubs. You might not have internet. You might not get that big bedroom you wanted. Just be open and be prepared.

4. Learn about your host host country's weather. Yeah you don't want to show up with too many winter coats or little to no sweatshirts.

5. Come with gifts from your country. Seriously, people love receiving gifts from different countries. I would love it, too. Whether is be candy or cute little token souvenirs.

6. Watch your weight. I haven't had this problem but it is known that exchange students usually gain weight while abroad. For some reason the opposite has been happening to me... I guess the Italian food is so healthy.

7. Rest well. The exchange trip is pretty stressful itself, you're going to need to take care of yourself so sleep well.

That's all for now.

---

I went to a Theather Festival in another city close to mine, I believe Montebelluna. Basically there were many performers, puppet shows, and vendors in the streets. Kids had face painted masks and there were real Italian renaissance masks! So awesome (but I bet the upcoming festival in Venice will be even better!) It was so fun!

My favorite part of this was the traveling circus family of five. They were all acrobats! The Mom and Dad being the lead acrobats performing along with their young daughter and two sons. Also with their friendly pet wolf (who had one white eye and one gold eye. :O)

That was the coolest family ever. How many kids can say, "Yeah I grew up traveling around Italy with my circus family entertaining crowds along with my pet wolf." Oh yeah!

Too bad I forgot my camera at home. FAIL.

2 comments:

  1. To Geography thing:

    Some fellow AFSers had to draw maps of the world and label as many countries as we could.

    Out of the Chilean, Norwegian, Hugraian, and Hong Kongian (?) I had the most countries labelled. I was happy :)

    Even though, that wasn't the point of the exercise, but still :P
    -Catelyn

    ReplyDelete
  2. USA! USA! :DDD awesome job Catelyn. :)

    -Zakiyya

    ReplyDelete