Monday, December 26, 2011

Venice, Christmas, and other hoopla

Aaaaw yeah mission accomplished! Took three months to get to it but I did!

I went to Venice.

It was cool! <3 And beautiful. :D

These wonderful friends took me.



Upon arrival there were also some people who were giving out free hugs. I ran up to them yelling "I want free hugs!" And I got a nice picture too. Haha Apparently it's not normal for people to get free hugs in Venice.


We walked around a lot and there were many crazy pigeons. They flew lower than normal, or they would land on you and demand your remaining food. :O Demons!

It took us a while to navigate the weird alleys to find Piazza San Marco but it was worth it!

We went into the St. Mark's Basilica  where you weren't supposed to take pictures and talk but people still did anyways.






There were so many gondolas and stores of masks!



After more walking  we went into a nice restuarant where I wasn't expecting them to be playing the most ghetto playlist you would only here in an American club. It was hilarious to me. They were literally blasting anything from Waka Flocka Flame to Soulja Boy in an elegant restuarant. Wut...? The waitresses seemed to be enjoying themselves because they were singing along with the words.

You do a lot of walking in Venice...





It was an interesting day. :)
---

Cute Christmas yesterday! I received a nice bubble like coat from my parents. :)

I had to wake up at 7AM because my little sister barged in my room screaming," ZAKIYYA, SANTA DROPPED OFF OUR PRESENTS!!!"

I haven't been around children who believe in Santa for so long... my sisters in the US are all older than me so we just don't have that jolly ole' spirit anymore. Marta made me write a letter too because she didn't want Santa to forget I was apart of the family. How cute!

I asked for some cool stuff like a rocket and a bicycle for flying! Then she told me Santa wouldn't be delivering my presents if I had a ridiculous list like that. D: I was dissed by a child. lol

Then my father's brother and sister came over with their kids and we had a good ole' time. Mainly my siblings though... the cousins were more so around their age (7-10 years old) so I wasn't really that interested. But they had a puppy that arrived for them Christmas morning!


Haha cute thing, snapped at everyone's fingers.
Ofcourse there was also delicious food! This dish is only known in a certain northern  part of Italy. It's only eaten once a year because it's very heavy on people with frail stomachs. The cup like shap with a candle is heating a mixture of oils and some anchovies. You dip the vegetables in when the mixture is warm and it tastes good. :D
We even Skyped my host sister in Costa Rica. She was feeling a bit homesick so she watched as the family opened presents together.

The AFS Christmas party was last Sunday and I gave all my friends cute gifts. Alice in Wonderland themed cards I drew (I love Alice in Wonderland a lot!) which said what I thought was special about them. I really am going to miss them when this experience is over but I shouldn't think about that at the moment! Plus little Christmas anime themed hangers I drew for them.

The cards :)



One of the Christmas hangers.
A few minutes before the party, one of our coordinators came up to us foreign exchangers and said we had to do a presentation of our country's Christmas celebration for 5 minutes. ugh. Our Italian is still lame, so it was everyone looking at us like "Aaaaw how cute, they're trying to explain things to us in poor Italian." =|

I also gave my teachers special cards written to them. They seemed so surprise and happy, but I guess none of the students ever give them anything for the Holidays...
My class had Secret Santa going on for a month and they gave me an adorable coffee mug plastered with hearts. They are so awesome. :D

---

Finally on break from school. Two weeks to be a bum never felt so great.

It was nice until I caught The Italian Epidemic. Also known as the common cold. At least 5 times worse though. Hacking, coughing, and other info that is unneeded but you can use your imagination.

Why couldn't I have caught the cold when school was still in so I could miss it? Only the day when school closes do I become sick. Lame timing.

I was always so careful. :( I carried hand sanitizer where ever I went! Unfortunately, I drunk some coffee after my friend Alyce who was already sick for days. Fail! The next I was pretty much dead. Quarantined in my room sleeping.

It was only a matter of time before I caught it I guess. Italians have a tendency to sneeze in their hands and then touch everything around them as if nothing happened.

Now to a normal person, they're probably like "Ok, wow, germs, big deal."

NO. To me, I. can't. stand. germs. They are terrible! And it's probably one of the reasons why I'm a neat freak now.

So you can only imagine how much of a nightmare Italy is to me on this subject. The buses, the freaking bathrooms that are squaty potties, and of course when people sneeze in their hands.

I've really tried to ignore these things to adapt but my goodness, come on.

---

My computer hates everyone else's blogs now. It won't let me comment or even see them anymore. =|

---

McDonald's in Treviso is the biggest rip off ever! For 4 Chicken Nuggets and a Medium Sprite you pay 4.10 Euros. In US Dollars ofcourse it's more.  Without fries, too. That's just wrong. D:

I guess it's Italy's way of keeping everyone from getting fat. xD

---

I keep having dreams about zombie apocalypses getting sent back to the US. Not because I've done something wrong in the dreams to get me sent back, it's because my tutors say my trip has ended early for no reason. I don't care if it's three months early or two days I don't want to go back to the US yet! I'm having a good time and so many people worked hard for me to be here. The dreams are so real though! I wake up in a panic and when I see I'm still in my Italian bedroom, then, I am happy. Phew.

---

Last week I lost my bus card.

In Treviso, they pull surprise trips where coordinators get on the bus and check everyone for their tickets to make sure no one is cheating the system. Sometimes you think you get through the bus ride safe but then you're about to get off and they're there standing at the doors waiting for you, too.
(They're so strict about the tickets but they don't care enough to get their buses to stops on the exact time. Fair enough yes. =/)

Anyways, it just so happens the week I accidentally lose my bus ticket they crank up the security for the buses hard. ಠ_ಠ So instead of being able to sneak on the buses, I had to buy 2,50 Euro tickets each time I got on the bus until I found my card. My wallet is still crying.

So after waiting for a couple of days to find my ticket I lost hope and just bought a 10 Euro duplicate. But the same night someone found my old bus card on the ground after skating practice. What a waste of 10 Euros! I'll just think of it as a donation to the douche bus company.

---

now i need to find something to do for new years'

Adventures away! zooooooom ciao <3

1 comment:

  1. holy buckets! 2,50 euros?! how far does that get you?! in madrid it was one euro for the center city bus and metro. alicante was like 1,25 euro. that's crazy expensive! love the pictures, keep up the writing! :)

    ReplyDelete