Friday, September 23, 2011

diversi e lo stesso

I tried to avoid blogging by holding off on updating for a few days. I kind of feel like I am spamming you guys with a bunch of Zakiyya's crazy thoughts. haha///

It's been about 10 days of me in Silea and I'm just now feeling the culture shock. Odd.
On the surface, at first, there seemed to be nothing really different about Italy from Cincinnati apart from the traffic and architecture influence. Though it seems I'm starting to notice the differences...

warning: sarcasm ahead.


School

Yeah, I think I'm done complaining about the School for the Creative and Performing Arts (SCPA), now. School here is the epitome of boring. And most schools in my town are BROKE. I thought SCPA in Cincinnati was broke before, but woo, I had to see it for myself in Italy. Goodnesss gracious.

This probably isn't true for all schools in Italy, but here's the deal with mine:

90% of my school smokes. It's really cool to do so apparently. I hope I don't die from second hand smoke.

There is no such thing as air conditioning and heating in my school. You wear the proper clothes you need to be comfortable in. (Which puzzles me immensely because EVERY teenage girl in my town wears scarves and pants to school when it's freaking 85 degress outside. No joke. I was the only one wearing shorts today, too.) Obviously they aren't burning up in them.

No projectors. There is like one projector in the school if  the teachers really need it, it's old, and you have to roll it around the school to get it to your class. But other than that, we use bootleg chalk and a chalkboard.

Teachers are the ones with lockers, not the students. Also, teachers are the ones who move from class to class. Unlike in Cincinnati there is no exercising fun for me to go to other classes, unless I don't have to stay in a certain subject in my room. You're stuck in the same room for about 5 to 6 hours a day.

Classrooms aren't decorated  with anything. Maybe a boring map or a list of school rules, but other than that, you're in a jail cell.






It's just the student-to-teacher relationship. No, "Hey, how's your life going?" "Trouble at home?""My son/daughter did this, it was so funny, I'll tell you guys the story..." The teacher just comes in and talks, writes on the chalkboard a couple of times, and continues to talk about the lesson and leaves. All while expecting you to just write down what they say. Sure, they say something funny from time to time (Well, I can't understand it, but the other students laugh, so it has to be something funny.) but it's still boring.
SCPA is literally a happy fun town compared to the school here. It's so hard not to fall asleep in class.

No books, you buy your own. No library either.

One chemistry/physics and computer lab for the whole school.

You eat breakfast and lunch at home. You bring a snack for the 15 minute break time if you want.

Some teachers just don't show up to class, and you have to do another lesson.
School goes from 8:00 AM to 1:00 PM for now. Italian schools are more disorganized than Cincinnati Public Schools at the moment, so everyone goes home early. Schedules change erratically and everyone in my class rushes to jot down the new times or places to go. But when things calm down, we will be stuck in school til 2:00 PM. Don't be angry though, I go to school on Saturdays and church on Sunday so NO MORE WEEKEND. Haha Yay!

Girl to boy ratio  is 5:1 at my school. So many girls in a Linguistic (language) school, because let's face it, girls are much better at talking than boys. All the boys are located next door at the Technico school because it's a more of a hands on type of school. Ratio is pretty much the other way around. Plus that school has a cafe. Jealooooooussssssyyyyyy.

My class is really nice though. They're very friendly and even  though we can barely understand each other we still all really get along. I had everyone give me their birthday, so when it comes around I'm prepared to draw something for them. They really appreciate it. I have to make an effort somehow...



I also have class buddies. Two different people every week have to take care of me (haha I'm such a child here.) and they tell me about Italy or what's just going on in class. This week is exciting because the two people I'm with have a lot of the same interests as  I do.

Oh and many kids are obsessed with or want to go to America. O_O It's insane! There's so much American flag print clothing it's ridiculous. There are a lot of kids who "dress like" Americans, too.

Buses/Transportation

Yeah, I'm done complaining about the buses in Cincinnati, too.

The buses here are so crowded. Like Tokyo train crowded. But even here that isn't normal.

Lately many people have been losing their jobs in Italy due to our wonderful economy, and there has been a huge amount of budget cuts, hence fewer buses for more teenagers. We all run for the buses and try to be the first people on so we don't get left behind and become late for school. I would've taken a picture of how packed we're in the bus, but my hands are always crushed at my sides or holding on to a bus rail to steady myself from the bus driver's pericoloso (dangerous) driving.
It's an adventure every morning getting to and from school alright.

There's going to be a protest coming in October to try and get things settled out, so haha we'll see how that goes. I can't go cause it's apart of AFS rules and I prefer not to be sent home early. :)
Also, on the express way, there seems to be no speedlimit. And there are barely any cars on the express way. Scary.

Church

Pssh, it's only been a little over a week and I've already been to a baptism for a family I didn't even know. Apparently it was for a friend of my parents, but it sure was cool.

I had no clue what went on when I used to go to church in the States with English, so you can imagine me helpless in a Italian church. It's pretty much the same type of ceremony just in Italian language.
You also don't have to dress up in my town. Well, I'm sure as long as you don't look like a bum, you're permitted to go, but casual is fine. :)

Children



Many Italian children are the champions of whining. ಠ_ಠ
My little brother and sister are on the verge of tears EVERY. DAY. I KID YOU NOT. At first I thought it was just them, but it turns out a lot of AFSers have younger siblings who cry to get whatever they want. There are the very few exceptional mature or shy kids who don't cry at all though.

My mom in the United States would've slapped me silly if  I cried for something I wanted. Kids here cry and Moms are like "Sssshhhh, ssshhhh, it's okay, I'll get you your favorite toy later."or "Instead of this you can have this.""Oh we'll get ice cream later, everything's fine."

All I can do is stare, mouth agape.
Anger in Italian is hilarious. Whining in Italian is the most annoying thing I've ever heard next to loud gum chewing. Harsh but true. I'll just deal with it for now. =\

Fun Facts

1. The English songs on my iPod sound different to me now. I have just been hearing Italian and broken English and there might be something wrong with my brain. All I know is the English just sounds really odd to me now.

2. I have an Italian accent when I speak broken English now. I guess I just picked it up around my friends. But when I'm with people who speak normal English, I have no accent...? What...?

3. Italian house streets are very similar to Japan's.

4. There are many pet chickens and cats walking around alleys.

5. Many cars here run on Natural Gas.

6. There is no such thing as CHEEZ-ITZ and no one has ever heard of them. :(

7. If you're 16 years and older you may drink alcohol. (Oh I wonder how many AFSers will abuse this...? =\)

8. Wearing jackets is a cool trend, especially when it's scalding hot outside. Atleast you'll look fabulous while having a heat stroke.

9. Many shops opening very early, close around noon, open again at 4 PM, and close again at like 8 PM. CAN YOU SAY USELESS?!

10. Boys can walk down the street with their arms around each other's waist or hold hands because they're best friends. Haha can't do that in America without being called something vulgar.

11. Public affection is intense. I'll just leave it at that.

12. There is one McDonald's in my town and teenagers are obsessed with it because it's so "American".

13.There is a manga/japanese cafe! And there's Hetalia merchandise. I'm good to go.:)

Heh, Italy sure is different. xP Still awesome though. :) Goodness, I'll have a more optimistic post later.

3 comments:

  1. Cheese-It's are on the way along with other stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I laughed the whole time I read through this. It will be ok. Now you appreciate what you use to have. But inbox me your address on facebook so I can send you stuff....love you and miss you

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, I will make sure you get your stuff
    :-)
    David

    ReplyDelete