Monday, September 26, 2011

Overkill

Ok, we get it Canova, you're better than everybody else. You don't have to continue to rub it in.

Canova is a high school where many kids of doctors and lawyers go, so of course their school is going to be a little more endowed than a school like mine. I go to "Duca Degli Abruzzi" and basically my school is hobo central compared to Canova. Haha

Many Canova kids I've talked to  have a supercilious attitude about them. I nearly slapped my brother upside the head when he lifted his nose in the air and said "Ha! Next year, I'm going to Canova, and my sister Sara didn't. I'm better!" Pssh, boy please.

Sure they have a moat and a fancy garden and beautiful architecture, but my school has uh... something they don't! I just haven't completely figured it out yet!

Anyways, the differences continue on with Italy:

Trash

Someone with OCD created the Italian trash system. There are five different ways you can throw away your trash and it's so easy for the Italians. Here's the classifications I've seen:
  • Paper
  • Bending Plastic Recyclables
  • Non-Bending Plastic Recyclables
  • Non-Edible Non- Recyclables
  • Edible Non-Recyclables
And there is probably more I don't know about. But one thing is true: I don't know how to throw away trash anymore. I'm hoarding my junk next to my bed until I ask my mom, "How do I throw this away?" I feel like I've been starting from square one as a child in Italy all over again.

It's also the same trash system at school. There are directions on what goes where, but it's in Italian of course. Good thing there are pictures, although I still can't tell what goes on in them...
I have to  look both ways down the hallway to see if no one is there before I lift up the trash can lids to see what's inside them. It's  kind of embarassing to not know how to throw trash away. One time, some girls at school saw me looking in the trash and I bet they thought I was some poor teenager that snuck in. Haha aaaaaaawkwaaaard.

One day I'll learn how to throw away trash again.

Language (Of course!)

Last week, my mother was showing me around town, encouraging me it was very easy to navigate. She said, "Dai, Zakiyya! Dai!" which is the equivalent to "Come on, Zakiyya! You can do it!"

To me, it sounds like "Die Zakiyya, die!" And she had such a happy face when she said it, I'm just staring at her in horror like "Why, Mom?! Why do you want me to die?!"

I translated it for her and told her what it means in the States, and she was like "Oh, hahahaha, woops."
We had a good laugh afterwards. :)

Now I'm hearing "Dai!" everywhere. I have to get used to it.

Clothes

Ok so I already told you alot about clothes and how girls don't wear anything but pants. Todaaaaay, I saw a girl wearing shorts! I'm seriously about to turn this into a game, like the "How-many-Justin-Bieber-haircuts-can-you-count-in-one-day?" game I play in the States.

This is going to be entertaining. :)

Oh and another thing about Italy, is that you can totally wear the same shirt for 3 days and no one will say anything. I've been wearing the same pants for 5 days. Haha Oh normal.

Maybe later I'll go deeper into fashion...?

Cinema

So the Cinema in my town is pretty nice. (I'm the closest Intercultura Student to it! :)) I went to see i Puffi (The Smurfs) on Saturday with my litttle sister but I didn't understand anything, so I fell asleep.

That tends to happen a lot nowadays. I don't understand anything, so the solution is sleep.

But this Cinema has a book store inside. O_O Interesting. Oh and there are assigned seats in a theater. You choose whether you want to be closer to the screen or far away. I guess there is a computer system that chooses wisely because we weren't too crowded in the cinmea next to other people.


In the middle of the movie the screen went blank and I was like, "Oh my gosh, Italy has bootleg movies like America! Haha!" But turns out it was just a 4 minute break so people can go to the bathroom, throw away trash, etc. Very clever. Never thought of that. They don't want you to miss your movie. How nice. :)
---

Yesterday I woke up and my dad comes in my room and says "Hey, Zakiyya, we're going to the mountains!" Yeah, please tell me in advanced next time so I don't have to be surprised. Haha

(I am so used to planning out my schedules and days, but in Italy that has completely gone out of the window. I still bought an agenda anyways.)

So, I went off to the mountains (2 hour drive, me sitting in the middle between two cranky children, on swervy roads FML) but it was worth it. The mountains were fun! I met more friends of my parents and their children. One of them really likes America, especially Hollister and Abercrombie & Fitch.
She wants to go to New York. (I'm definitely not one to crush dreams but, why is this so normal now?)




These ducks were evil. They yapped at us so much and we weren't even that close to them. And they bite, too!

Creepy tree face in forest


It was also Davide's birthday so we had frosted brownies.

I don't exactly know the name, but it's basically Spinach Pie. Don't judge it by looks, it's delicious. *u*
I felt like I was in Switzerland all over again (♫ It's a small world after all~♫). The houses were so cute and the mountains so green. Everything inside was decorated red though, because apparently red is the color for mountains in Italy.

Mountains are cold. And it's only Fall right now. I can only imagine Winter! I'm going back in the Winter with my family for fun. The hillsides will turn into something resembling Perfect North Slopes in Indiana (YESSSSSSS!!), and I'm going skiing. Wish me luck and hope I don't break a leg. :D

---

I went to a Catholic Festival for my church on Friday and it was very fun. I met some of my older sister's friends and they were very friendly.


My mom and dad say I have a quality that allows me to get along with anyone I meet. Haha, so they
think. Truth is, I am very socially awkward, even in English. So me trying to speak Italian = 100 times more socially awkward. *sigh* Hopefully I will grow out of it one day. I share great a great sense of humor with many, but in Italy no one really gets my jokes except the Intercultura kids. Oh well, I'll
try a new method of funny.

Plus tasty food is always a bonus! I had pasta, and I was supposed to have fries but the waiters forgot all about the table we were sitting at. I was really looking forward to those french fries since I haven't had any leaving America. :( We didn't even get our money back. >_>

---

Why the heck are there tanning salons in Italy?!

---

Some good and important qoutes I would like to share:

"The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself." -Mark Twain

“I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not.”- Kurt Cobain


“Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.” -Dr.Suess


---

Ciao, A presto! :) <3

No comments:

Post a Comment